One Crazy Summer

During our great house search we were also living our everyday life, which at the time, seemed to be more hectic than usual. After moving out of our home in Mason and into a duplex in Okemos we all felt displaced. But Scott and I tried to keep life as "normal" as possible. We spent weekends together watching movies or playing games in our little duplex we dubbed, "purgatory".

While in purgatory our months quickly filled up. It was summer time which meant, open houses, parties and weddings. And for us, we had a few extras to fill in any possible free days.

Here's just a few of those extras:

Kate's Ear Tubes
At the end of June Kate and I spent the day at Sparrow in a DAC (Developmental Assessment Clinic) program. When a child is born needing the RNIC unit at Sparrow they ask that you participate in the DAC program in hopes to be able to help you find any needed programs for your child who may be lacking. Fortunately, and I'm going to toot my own horn, I'm a great mother who has already gotten her child involved with such programs. So, the day was basically a waste of our time. Well, not totally. A week prior in preparation for the DAC Kate had a hearing test that she basically failed.

We quickly made all the appointments with Michigan ENT and got Kate in for her tubes. I have to tell you, next to heart surgery, this was freaking me out. I was expecting the doctor to show me these super long invasive-looking wires that they were going to shove down my poor Katie Bug's ears. Instead, he shows me these tiny little tubes not even the size of the tip of a piece of white rice. Crazy!

Kate and I waiting for the nurse.

Daddy holds Kate while the nurse takes all her vitals.
I was able to walk Kate back into the OR. There they told me to hold Kate down while they gave her sleeping gas. She wasn't having it. So, I decided to sing her to sleep with my version of, "You Are My Sunshine". I got a round of applause. 

The procedure was super fast. And Kate did great! She's such a little trooper!

SUDs Walk Commercial
As a lot of you know we do some fundraising for the Capital Area Down Syndrome Association (CADSA). This year, to avoid spending excess money, the group decided to drop the Buddy Walk name and change it to a free-to-use name, SUDs Walk (Step-Up for Down Syndrome). In order to get the name out and to announce the event itself, two very helpful athletes donated their time and shot some liners and video for the walk. We were asked to be a part of the commercial and Scott and Kate got a very special speaking part. Our Buggie is a star!

Drew Stanton and TJ Duckett of MSU alumni help bring attention to the CADSA's SUDs walk.

Drew giving Kate some pointers on how to pose for the camera.
Both of the guys are very passionate about their charities and were so great with all the kids.

***BTW, Thank you all so much for donating to the SUDs walk this year. I promise thank you's are coming soon!

A Little Scottie Time
I feel Scott and I are really good about giving each other a little well deserved space. Whether it be a few hours for a movie with a friend, a night out for golf or a whole weekend of scrapbooking, we each get to take some time away to be "free of" real-life. So when Scott was feeling guilty about his golf weekend away with his friend Dave, I had to basically talk him into going. And we're both so glad he went!

Scott and Dave at Tree Tops. These two grew up together in Petoskey and have stayed friends for all these years. A friendship like theirs is more a brotherhood than anything else.

These two have made this an annual trip. I get to hear about all the drives and putts and jokes these guys enjoy. I'm just glad they get to spend the time together.

Mojo's Bachelor Party
The very next weekend was Mojo and Sarah's "last nights of freedom". Scott hosted a guys' weekend up at Sarah's family's cottage on Houghton while the girls stayed in Lansing and tore up the town. Here's some pictures of the guys but I honestly have none to share from the girls. I don't think you want to see them anyway. There was this blow-up doll involved and it got messy! :o)

Scott calls this his "album cover" shot.
Mac D, Andy, Mojo and Brian must be the back-up band.

I'm guessing they're a few in by this point.

After the busy weekends it was time to move out of purgatory. We had gotten an extension from our landlord and his new tenant in hopes we could move right into our house but with all the curve balls thrown at us we just couldn't get right in. So, moving day came and out we went.

On Wednesday July 27 we packed up our second storage unit with whatever we could and headed to our new temporary homes. Scott to my brother Ian's in Lansing and the kids and I down to my Uncle and Aunts in Coldwater.

Homeless and Loving It!
I really shouldn't say we were homeless because I know that's a very serious situation in our country. But since I'm not a very serious person most of the time, lets just have fun with it for now.

My Uncle Jim and Aunt Connie are partners in a campground down in Coldwater, MI on Randall Lake. They have several cabins they rent out and a big house they stay in. Well, it just so happened that during the time we were homeless they were going to be staying at the big house. So, I invited my family to join them during those weeks. Boy did we have a blast!
Jack learned how to clean and prep a pontoon for renting and even got to drive a few times. I learned how to answer the business line and rent out boats and cabins. Kate just got spoiled by the family. On weekends Scott would drive down and spend time with us. 


One of many pontoon rides that we grew to expect at the end of each day.

Jack atop a float with dog Bandit. Surrounding are: Uncle Jim, cousins Ellie and Ben and Aunt Connie.

Two cuties!
 Just a note, for all of you who wonder where my kids get their blond hair...

Jack's First Fish
For a gift A. Connie bought Jack a fishing rod. She decided that since Jack knew his way around the pontoon it was time to learn how to fish.

First you must string your line.

Then bait your hook and learn to cast.
This took some time.

So Jack decided to go and play for awhile.

Jumping into the lake a few times he decided he'd take another stab at the fishin' hole.

Good thing he did too!
Here's Jack's first fish ever.

He may be small but he's Jack's.

Up close look.

Time to release him. Maybe when he gets a little bigger the two will meet up again.

Visits from Daddy were the highlight of the weekend. It would have been nice if we could all stay together but the drive from Coldwater to Lansing is at least 60 minutes and gas wasn't cheap!

Jack's camera work. Ben cheesing it up in the background.

The water was a nice getaway for Scott. The family time was just what he wanted come Friday.

Special Family Time
Aunt Connie is my mother's sister. This is the Parkinson side of my family. And if you know them you know there are a lot of them! This was always great as a kid. You never had a dull moment when hanging with the cousins. So during our stay we got to visit with some family I don't normally see now that we're all grown up.

Our first weekend there My Uncle Chuck and Aunt Allison came up to retrieve their daughter Anna from camp which she and Ellie had just gotten back from. Wish I had pictures of that but I don't. We had a wonderful grilled dinner and a few bottles of wine while enjoying our visit.

Later in the month some more aunts came down and rented a couple cabins. We spend the week doing family dinners, movies, game nights and of course some fun beach time. By the end of our stay I felt all caught up with a lot of my family.

Here's just a few shots of our family fun.

Connie painting Kate's toes for the first time.

And Kate giving Connie lots of love.

 Maria's man, Mike watching the boats go by.

 Maria and Mike after a long chill on the dock. Probably time for a refreshing beverage!

 Maria's oldest, Chloe. She's in an advanced class and had a few books to read before school started so this is pretty much what you'd see if you saw her. I did manage to whisk her away for a much needed pedicure and lunch out.

 My cousin Ricky's boy Hunter. He's older than Jack by a few years but these two had so much fun.

 Just like Ricky and I when we were kids. The two of us played hard and enjoyed life.
I think these two are just like their parents.

 Oh, the speed boat. Or as Jack calls it, the fast boat!
Black and Yellow, Black and Yellow!
(It's an inside joke.)

 My Grandmother came down a few times to hang with her grandkids and great grandkids.

 It's always fun getting love from G. grandma!

Again, two cuties!
Don't they look like they could be sisters?!

***A special Thank You to my Uncle and Aunt! You two are loving, giving and wonderful people! Your family means the world to us and we enjoyed the extra time with got to spend with you during the summer. I hope the bonds we have continue throughout our lifetime. Love you all so much!

So there you have it. My crazy Summer. There was a lot more going on than I posted here. I'll wrap that all up in my next post about our move-in to our home. But as for being homeless, if I ever had to do it again, I'd definitely do it down at my Uncle and Aunts'. That is if they'll have us again!

Comments

Anonymous said…
And we got Scott hooked on Big Brother=)
~Brandy
Samara Link said…
Jen, this is such a cool post! You guys did so much this summer. My goodness! I know that the transition was hard, but what an awesome place you had to stay out at your aunt and uncle's lake house. What special time with family and nature. I'm glad to hear Katie's ear tubes went well. She is such a doll. That smile of hers lights up the Internet. :)
Samara Link said…
Jack's first fish! How nice of Connie to get him a fishing pole. He sure is getting big.

Popular Posts