Bug Huggin'

In September we participated in our first fund raising event for the Capital Area Down Syndrome Association (CADSA) called the Buddy Walk. The event funds the association's activities for its members. We are proud to say we came in second for highest fund raising. Here's the page to see some more results.

The Buddy Walk was located at the Potter Park Zoo in Lansing. Everyone who came got to walk through the zoo and enjoy the sights. Afterwards there was a lunch waiting and activities such as bounce houses, face painting, temporary tattooing, a drum circle and a band to listen to. Needless to say, there was plenty to do that afternoon. And the weather was the icing on the cake!
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!! The turn out at the walk for our group, which we proudly named The Bug Huggers, was amazing! Our family and friends who could make it out truly touched our hearts that day.
˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙
In prep for the Buddy Walk, besides the fund raising, I decided to make a special stroller costume for Kate to ride in. Not ever sewing a day in my life, I took on the challenge with pride! Not to mention a little uncertainty.

First I went surfing on the net to get ideas. I found this lady on Etsy and decided that was the route I wanted to go. If I had the time she needed I probably would have ordered one from her but I only had six days to get it done. I went to JoAnn's, picked out my material and away I went.

Pictures of samples from the Etsy Lady. When I showed it to a lady at JoAnn's, and mentioned I've never sewn before, she looked at me and laughed! I'm not kidding.

Traced my pattern pieces and cut out ladybugs and flowers.

All my bugs. I sewn little black buttons in the middle to hold them all together and little black dots for the rest of their spots. I really did enjoy doing the hand work.

But the machine work was something of a pain in my ass! I borrowed the sewing machine from my dear sweet friend Holly, who had yet to open the box it came in! It was all nice and new. Kind of fun, until I realized I had no idea what I was doing. It all worked out though.


The Big Day!

The finished cover! Kate and Auntie Brandy showing it off.

Rachel, Mitchell Carlson and Mr. Pout-face Jack.
I have no idea what that was about. Probably sick of the camera!

Some of our gang lined up for the walk through the zoo.
L-R: Mojo, Eric and Peter in the way back. Sarah and mom in the middle.
Katie, Holly, Scott (H's Scott) and son Zach in front middle.
My SIL Brandy in front.

More gang, L-R: Mojo (again??) Scott and John Carlson in the background.
Bob, Tonia Olson and Jill, Kevin (The Connies) in the foreground.

Pretty Katie Bug. Just before she fell asleep!

The family.
My brother and step dad Rick were tearing out a fireplace.
Otherwise they would have been there too.

Mitchell and John Carlson checking out the monkey house.

Always fun to feed the goats.
Remember when you could actually get into their cages with them?!

We love these things. I asked Jack what a tiger says.
He yelled, ROAR!!!

Oh, the otters. So fun to watch!

Christan has always been a good friend. I was so excited to learn her family was joining us for the afternoon. We don't get together as much as we'd like but when we do it's always nice.

I asked Mitchell what a shark looks like when it's mad.

Rachel wanted to hold really still for her shot. She looks so serious.

Breaking for lunch. Grandma taking care of our Buggie. She was dressed in the cute ladybug dress. More of our walkers. Aimee and Eric started a fundraising page of their own for Kate. So sweet they are! Sarah just relaxing after hulling two kiddos around in a wagon all afternoon.

Rachel being a silly girl! She's so darn cute, and a sweetie on top of it!

Zach in the back watching his little brother Matthew and Jack stand still for two seconds. Afterwards they bolded for the playground and ran off whatever energy they could muster.

The Bug Huggers.
Thank you family and friends for coming out and supporting our beautiful baby girl. And to all of you who donated, your support has been amazing and very much appreciated!
We love you all!

Comments

Samara Link said…
This is all so cool! What a great event. It's awesome that so many people came out in person to support you guys and make this a totally memorable day. I love that you got a big group photo. That's a great deal of love and support around the Trumans. Fabulous!

Jen, the stroller cover you made for Kate is just too cool. I am so impressed with you!! That's hilarious about the woman's reaction at JoAnn's. Boy, did she underestimate you! I know you worked hard on this and loving energy into it. It turned out beautifully! It make Kate the focus on a day that was about her, and it looks to me like it added some wonderful festivity. Just that you got the sewing machine out of the box and tackled it on your own is incredibly impressive. Well done, Bug's mama!! I'm so glad you shared this. :)
Anne said…
Sis, I know that today, the Capital Area Down Syndrome Association is not that important to our family, but someday it will be; when Katie is older and more socially involved in things. I am so glad we could participate and raise funds for this worthy group. I just can't wait to join in on the fun that the CADSA and Katie have in store for me! I am also looking forward to someday teaching sewing classes up at the Lansing branch and having YOU as one of my students! I love you! I told you before, and I will say it again...I am so proud of your work on Kate's stroller! You did an extra-ordinarily great job!

Popular Posts