Jack's Surgery

On October 15, just two days after Jack's birthday celebration, Scott and I found out our little guy had a hernia and would need a procedure to have it repaired. The thought of Jack being laid out in an operating room and cut open was just about the single worst thing that could happen in our minds.

The next week we met with a surgeon who looked Jack over and explained to us exactly what needed to be done. He told us this procedure needed to be done soon; not an emergency situation but surgery needed to take place in less than two weeks. So, we scheduled for the earliest time open. Sadly that would be October 31. One of our favorite days of the year. 

Halloween morning came early for the Truman household; 4:30 early. Scott and I had to have Jack at Ingham by 6:00 AM. It was cold and windy and definitely too early to be doing anything let alone take our only child, just a few weeks over one years of age, to be cut open. It was a sad, scary morning.


After check in, Scott, Jack and I wait in a small little room for the surgeon to visit.







Just before the surgeon arrived, we were asked to put Jack into his hospital gown.




Jack wants to know why he has to wear this girly gown?!




Well, at least he had George to make waiting more fun.




Daddy gave Jack a pep talk before he went in. Reminded Jack he was a big, strong boy and everything was going to be just fine.





The doctor again explained to us what he had to do. Jack would be put to sleep and once he was knocked out the doctor would make a small incision just above his pelvic area. He would then repair the hernia then close Jack up with some internal, dissolvable stitches. He said the surgery should take about 45 minutes. After he left around 7:45 AM, a few nurses came in to collect Jack. One nurse turned to me and asked if I was ready because when she would take him she was going to just walk away. I hugged Jack and told him I loved him. As soon as I did, the nurse took Jack and off they went. That was the hardest thing to deal with. Scott and I instantly started to cry.

Less than 30 minutes later Scott and I were called into the consultation room. The doctor came in just minutes later with good news. He said Jack's hernia was a routine procedure and everything went well. What relief Scott and I felt. The doctor said Jack should wake up soon and once he did we would be able to see him.

 

Waking up in a strange place without the sight of mommy or daddy was hard for Jack. We rushed in as soon as we could and comforted Jack with his blanket and some warm arms. I even sang some of Jack's favorite songs to make him feel at home.




Once Jack was awake we moved down to observation where we listened to some Wilco and drank some juice. The nurses had to make sure Jack could keep down liquid and pass some other tests such as no temperature, before we could leave.


Here Jack sits with daddy as mommy fills out discharge papers. See his poor little hand with the IV wrapped up tight. This picture really paints a horrible picture; this is what Jack would look like if he were a sick child. It was hard to look at. But, he's not sick. In fact...


Once we got home, Jack ran around like nothing even happened. He was a little grumpy but it was no worse than if he were cutting some new teeth.



Here Jack gets into the candy stash we had put aside for trick-or-treaters. BTW, the cute little Jack-o-lantern guy was given to me by Samara. Her mother-in-law, Sandy, has a friend who makes and sells them. (If interested, let me know)

We had some nice gifts delivered wishing Jack a speedy recovery. Grandpa Cords brought Jack a little Tiger we call "Belly". He has a belly button that can either be an "innie" or an "outie". He's cute. Grandma and Grandpa Hector made dinner for us. A friend of Scott's brought us a bouquet of cookies and Aunt Brooke sent balloons.



From Mike Vitale, a cookie bouquet with Dr. Garfield prescribing two cookies and a phone call in the morning!


Auntie Brooke sent balloons that Jack had fun with for weeks! He loved trying to grab them and would laugh really hard when he would make contact.



All better now!

Thank you all so much for thinking of Jack. He certainly made it through just fine. Our little guy is a lot stronger than I thought. 

Comments

Samara Link said…
My goodness, he is so adorable! I just want to kiss those cheecks!

I'm so glad everything turned out okay with this -- it had to be really hard to see him in the hopital and worry your way through the surgery. (I wish I could have been there with you.) Thankfully it was a quick procedure and recovery and not a long term illness.

The pictures you got are great -- the last one -- sooo cute. And the ones of you and Scott reassuring and comforting him -- precious. What a good mom and dad!

Thanks for sharing!
Anonymous said…
This is Grandma speaking. Yes, Sam, it was a very scary day. I was reassured that Grandma could stay home and everything would be all right. And it did go as hoped, thanks to Mommy and Daddy who were so brave, and I am sure, the skill of the surgeon. But Jack did the best, being such a strong trooper. I am sure that once he got home, his "Detroit Tiger uniform" helped him out so much to be the best and strongest patient in the whole hospital that day!

Popular Posts